Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Whole Truth

It should come as no surprise to anybody, least of all me, that I weigh more today than I did yesterday, not after all the shenanigans I pulled to trick the digital scale into reading 202.0 pounds. Today I weigh 203.4 pounds, an overnight gain of 1.4 pounds that was entirely earned.

The doctors who wrote The Duke Diet Plan say people who are trying to lose weight should weigh themselves every day and record it, and expect fluctuations up and down the scale of several pounds over the course of a week, but overall, a gradual trend down. That's what my own records reveal, a gradual weight loss over the last three weeks with plenty of ups and downs, but overall, down.

The reason I say I earned the weight gain yesterday is that I went out to eat. Even though I ate a modest amount, even splitting the meal in two and saving the other half for lunch today, I did two things differently...I ate later than I have been eating, knoshing almost until 9 PM, and I had a calorific but utterly delicious, decadent dessert called Chocolate Eruption.

I'll say.

Even so, my friend and I split the piece of chocolate heaven in two, and then we each ate only half of our half. So I was being naughty, but mindfully naughty. Nonetheless, that was all it took to bump up the scales.

I'm not worried. I'm sticking to my walking, and I DIDN'T order a soda at the restaurant, a major temptation I resisted, which is huge. I know the scale is going to bump up when I enjoy a night out with friends. That's okay. What's not okay would be losing sight of the fact that this is a very long journey and I just started. It will take me the better part of a year to finally reach my goal weight of 150 pounds. I hope you all stay with me for the whole ride.

Fat Cat