Friday, October 12, 2007

I Understand About Portion Sizes

I have to say I was touched by Fat Cat's description of her dinner out with a friend and the incredible restraint they displayed whilst dividing up and not consuming the "Chocolate Eruption". I would like to relate a shockingly similar story and thus demonstrate my commitment to ongoing health improvement.

Yesterday evening I was asked to the home of some friends for a night of entertainment and fine dining. The invitation went something like this: "Hey, Loy picked up some fried chicken. Wanna come over and watch some stuff we recorded on the DVR?" I graciously accepted and drove over fully intent upon displaying my newly-learned good eating habits.

(I won't mention the name of the "restaurant" that the chicken came from because I am terrified of offending the trademark gestapo, but suffice to say you can't pray at this church's chicken.)

When I arrived, the food had been placed buffet-style on the counter and we divided up the chicken tenders, dirty rice, mashed potatoes, and biscuits according to normal societal rules like "fair share", "dont' be a total douche and take too much", and "leave some leftovers for the host to snack on later". I immediately showed my good judgement by choosing a large round plate and not a cookie sheet to put my food upon as I had read an article that said I would eat less if my plate was smaller. I further showed control by building only a very small mashed potato and gravy "volcano" in the center and then surrounding it with only five or maybe eight chicken strips, a pile of rice and two biscuits. Even though it was difficult to lift my plate, I theorized that the effort was a chance to get in some isometric muscle building and just a touch of aerobics at the same time. A great start.

Now I can already hear some of you complaining that in no way can fried chicken and mashed potatoes be healthy, but I will remind you that we ate chicken tenders which means there was no bone. And although we had cream gravy to dip the tenders into, we did have normal, dietetic brown gravy for the pale, highly processed white potatoes. Granted the Cajun-style rice had enough grease to lubricate a car engine, but again, I washed that down with only one soda.

In case the comparison to Fat Cat's dinner weren't clear enough already, I will explain that we left two whole biscuits for someone to eat later after the appropriate lag for digestion had occurred. Could we have finished those off? You bet. But we didn't; we controlled ourselves.

I'm telling you friends, sometimes it hurts, but if you just work at it, you can lose weight.

Pigassus